Saturday, October 23, 2010

Guardian Angels


Kunlun Hotel


Beijing Traffic


Guardian Angels are all around. My sentiment was validated on the day that I flew from Taiwan to Beijing to meet my People to People Women’s and Children’s Health delegation. I decided I would get a taxi from the Beijing airport to my hotel. I had read about the illegal taxis that like to take advantage of foreigners and jack up the prices. I had lost some moments of sleep while being jolted awake at night thinking of being lost in a city like Beijing and not being able to communicate.
On the plane ride I met Mike Chen, a Taiwan businessman who regularly flies to Beijing for business. We started talking of our families and he showed me pictures of his house and family in Taiwan. He was very proud of his son who was a math scholar and had many “math trophies” lining he wall of his bedroom. He shared with me how it takes two parents working full time to make a middle class life in Taiwan. I enjoyed hearing about what the typical middle class life looks like for someone in Taiwan.
When we landed in Beijing, it was dark and the rain was coming down hard. I was getting really nervous about securing the taxi ride. Mike, my new friend, offers to ask his friend if he will drop me off at my hotel. Inside I am having an internal struggle with my head and my gut. My head arguing that getting into a stranger’s car in a foreign country is not a good idea. My gut telling me that this is a genuine good deed. I went with my gut and in this case I was right.
Mike helped me navigate the confusing trams, and labyrinth of the Beijing airport and he even came to my rescues when I learned that China does not recognize Taiwanese currency. He gladly exchanged my $30.00 worth of Taiwan for the RMB of China. Then he waited patiently as I had to go through customs.
His friend, Chris, picked us up at the airport with the rain pelting down in sheets.  Chris, I learned was one of the new entrepreneurs of China. He makes the cranes that help construct all the new building going on in the country. He had received a MBA in Oklahoma, but said Golf was his passion. I am in China for only 20 minutes and most of my beliefs are being dispelled in this car ride. As I look out the car window, not all of my perceptions were being changed. We were in virtual grid lock and there were people everywhere. 
About an hour after getting into the car I arrived safely at the Kunlun Hotel, a gorgeous 5 star hotel in the heart of Beijing. I met my group and the second leg of my adventure was to begin.
Thank you Mike Chen and Chris Wu. I hope to pass your kindness along someday. I will never forget your good deed.


No comments:

Post a Comment